Tuesday 14 December 2010

Girl with a Pearl Earring

The lack of blogging recently has been down to my latest design project, I have finally handed this in, all over with :) And I am happy with the result!



My project was based on the novel by Tracey Chevalier 'Girl with a Pearl Earring'.
It is very different from my usual work, as I was told I must use colour. (I am really more of a neutral kind of girl...) To make my project clearly relate to the theme my colour palette was based on colours from Vermeer's masterpiece paining - the inspiration behind Chevalier's conspiracy novel.



I researched symbolism of insects, inspired by Dutch floral paintings created at the time of Vermeer. The moth represents 'a dangerous attraction leading to unhappiness' This is very in-keeping with the main storyline of the novel so I included this within my project.





Narrative is also important to me, I wrote out sections of the novel in 17th century handwriting and incorporated this into my design work.





Now I have to begin the task of deciding what to do next!

xxx

6 comments:

  1. This is amazing! I’ve never read the book or seen the film, but I am very intrigued, I personally really like the colours, there not too in your face like brights. Stunning, stunning work miss, as always.

    I love all the fabric pieces and the embroidery is so perfect. Well done <3 xxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aww thank you so much! It means a lot <3
    Read the book! The film isn't as good but the book was amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I've seen the film!

    Very impressed, this is really good. Well done on all the research, I think it paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, beautiful samples, what a lovely colour palette.

    ReplyDelete
  5. hi georgi, your work looks fantastic! :) i was watching girl with a pearl earring the other day on tv, never seen it before but id really like to read the book. hows your fmp? are you carrying on with the same theme? i really miss printing and making stuff! hope its all going well xxx

    ReplyDelete