Wednesday 11 January 2012

Amor deliria nervosa

It is no secret that one of my loves is reading. Delirium by Laren Oliver is my latest read that certainly infected me with 'amor deliria nervosa' meaning love.

Right from reading the blurb I was interested in this book as I found the plot so interesting. What if love was a disease? This book is the set in an alternate reality. A world where love is seen as a disease that must be cured.

"There was a time when love was the most important thing in the world. People would go to the end of the earth to find it. They would tell lies for it. Even kill for it. Then, at last, they found a cure."


As someone who has experienced the indescribable highs of love, that I would not in a million years ever want to give up or be without, I have also experienced the heart breaking lows of love, which make the plots 'deadly side effects of love' - loss of appetite, fixation; loss of other interests, despair, erratic behaviour etc' all quite true and believable.

The book really did have me hooked, so much so that I finished it within two days! The main character Lena is counting down the days until she will be cured, of course this all changes when she meets Alex, and hears of the world beyond the walls put up around society 'The Wilds'. Having been brought up to believe this wall is for their protection and to stop invalids, any diseased people from getting in, Lena soon begins to wonder if this divide is in fact to cage the 'cured' in.

The world created in this story is fascinating. I also found back story of Lena's childhood and her Mother - who had numerous treatments but still remained infected before ending her own life, running throughout the book equally engaging.

I was so excited to learn that this book is going to become a trilogy, the only problem is that I have to wait to find out what happens next!!

xxx

1 comment:

  1. ♥ You always find the best books, I'm just so glad you have blogged again! xxxx

    ReplyDelete