Tuesday 11 January 2011

Noughts and Crosses

I have had a big case of writers block recently, I have been much more into reading then writing for the past few weeks!



Following Sarah's blog I got the idea to make a list of all the books I read this year, just out of personal interest. The best of these I will review!

So far this year I have read:
*Katie Price - You Only Live Once
*Tracey Chevalier - Falling Angels
*Malorie Blackman - Double Cross
and currently *Jacqueline Wilson - The Longest Whale Song

So quite a mix! I don't tend to stick to genre's I like a good mix of adult and children's fiction, historical fiction, autobiographies, travel writing and much more. Despite this books that seem to grab me are the ones that have many unexpected twists, and aren't afraid to confront hard hitting issues.

Since reading Noughts and Crosses by Malorie Blackman I was hooked.



This is the first book in a FANTASTIC series, don't be put off by the fact it is in the teen section - I would recommend this book to just about anyone.

Blackman creates a world that instantly sucks you in, the characters are all very believable, you come to care for them which makes the plot twists and turns all the more dramatic. The book also manages to deal with topical issues such as racism from a completely fresh perspective.

It isn't all comfortable reading, and although there is a strong relationship between two of the main characters Sephy and Callum it isn't all fairytale's and happy endings, the characters go through a lot in the book, I often had to re-read pages as I couldn't believe things that had just happened! In my opinion that is what makes this story so great, the plot twists you don't see coming keep you on the edge of your seat the whole way through the story.

I would recommend this book to anyone wanting to sink their teeth into a truly original story.

xxx

5 comments:

  1. <3 I always love reading your posts.

    I'm reading The Longest Whale song now too :)
    I feel so bad for Ella, but can see that Jack is only trying to lookout for her. I loved it when she mentioned she was reading Tracey Beaker!! Once we've finished reading we should compare thoughts :)

    I've never read anything by Malorie Blackman, but I know you have always raved about her books! I found a Piece of Cake so tough to read, especially the bits about her race. So I tend to stick to light hearted stuff, I was so hooked on Carrie Diaries eeee, I could really relate to some of the stuff in it, definatly worth reading! :) xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  2. Malorie Blackman is a lot easier to read then Piece of Cake, it is fiction as well so at least you can tell yourself that! With Piece of Cake it was just so hard to believe she went through all of those things!

    I think you may enjoy this more but there are still a few bits where you are like NOOOOO!!

    I have only just started reading the Whale Song I love Jacqueline Wilson!

    I am still a little unsure about Carrie Diaries it might be a little to girly for me! What do you think? xxx

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll have to check out Noughts and Crosses!
    It's nice to know that someone else reads books that are catered to the younger crowd. I think some people are easy to dismiss books based on the targeted age.

    Since I'm an Elementary Major, I have read some great books this year that, yes, are easy reads but definitely entertaining and very addicting to say the least.

    One of my favorites this year from "that category" is "Al Capone Does My Shirts" by Gennifer Choldenko. It's definitely worth it to read!

    xoxo - erinj0

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ohh I will have to check it out! I'm kind of addicted to children's books :) xxx

    ReplyDelete
  5. I've just seen your reply :)
    I think you shoud try Carrie Diaries if you ever see it cheap in Oxfam or something because if you have ever liked SATC you will def like this. It's not too girly, it has a few fashion bits in, but not too many. It's all about teenage Carrie.

    I might look out for Malorie Blackman sometime, I am so crap at reading tough stuff though, I get really sad easily!

    Have you seen the Shabby Blog thing in the corner of your blog? Don't know what it means, think you might need to check it out

    xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

    ReplyDelete