Friday 25 January 2013

The Story of Milly Moo







During my final year of University, for the first time since leaving home I was finally in accommodation where having a pet became possible. Me and the Mr had spoken about getting a house rabbit, but I always found myself drawn to the Guinea Pigs after fond memories of having one as a child. As they a social animals we planned on getting two females, however after visiting every pet shop in Huddersfield there was only one female Guinea left.

We decided to wait until two were available, but cage ready and waiting and heart longing I convinced my Mr we had to go back for the beauty we had seen the day before. Luckily she was still there, after asking to see her the shop owner placed her in my arms and my love for this little one was instant. We decided to take her and named her Millie Moo. From them on my life has been so much more complete. She brought me joy as I sat by her all day sewing my final year project, she was my comfort when after Uni I had to move back home, and my attachment to her has grown each day.

Wanting the best for her we decided it was only fair to introduce her to some friends, next came timid little Minnie, and major rascal Mouse. We could tell that Moo was much more content with company of her own kind and it meant when I started full time work she would not spend her days alone. My love for animals has grown so much since adopting the Piggies, and a great passion for supporting animal shelters and rescues has developed. Completing my little family are Lily and Daisy, who were both adopted from Tameside Rabbit and Guinea Pig Rescue.

I would urge anyone considering adopting a pet to please check your local rescue centres. There are so many animals needing a good home. Moo was from Pets at Home and has had more health issues then all of the other pigs put together. The rescue pigs have been in much better health, and I was also surprised to see a much wider variety of breeds at the rescue then there are in the pet shops, including young animals of just a few weeks old. If anyone has any questions about the adoption process or general questions about guinea pigs as pets just let me know as by now I have quite a lot of experience! Do any of you have any Pets adopted from rescues? I would love to hear your stories.

xxx

4 comments:

  1. Moo is adorable!!! What a wonderful story. I rescued my cat Ruby :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those photos are precious! I grew up in Huddersfield :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I came across your wonderful blog and I'm your newest follower! :) Would you mind checking out our blog & following back via GFC and Bloglovin'? Let me know!

    sixthtractate.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. She is such a total cutie! Love her ♥ xxx

    ReplyDelete