Wednesday 14 July 2010

A piece of cake

I am being a bit naughty and skipping the T.V show post as books are something I have a real passion about, and are much more fulfilling! <3



Books make me incredibly nostalgic, and I get very attached.
I have never been someone who could give a book away, or even sell them, especially if I have loved the story.

I learned to read very young and have been a bookworm ever since. What with having more time this year, and working in a bookshop my collection has grown fast and tremendously, the image above is of all the books I have collected since august, I really should invest in a bookcase, although I'm sure my ever expanding collection would soon outgrow it...

It is very hard to choose just one book out of the thousands I have read but at different stages in my life there have been books that have stood out.

In my early stages of primary school I discovered the dinosaurs packed lunch. This is where my absolute devotion to Jacqueline Wilson began. I went on to read other books by her, The Suitcase Kid, one I must have read 20 times over was without a doubt my favourite book growing up.



Knowing of my love for Jacqueline's writing and the fascination I had in school with the Victorian era my Mum hid copy of Hetty Feather in my Christmas stocking this year, which I can honestly say turned out to be my best present. It is a must read for fans, and personally one my favourites by her which is quite an achievement!

At the age of eleven or twelve I started to read teenage books, again Jacqueline Wilson amazed me with the likes of The Illustrated Mum, Vicky Angel, and the Girls series. My favourite teen book of all time however is Celia by Catherine Robinson (my favourite chapter in particular was where she was on the run and lived with gypsy's for six months, which will come as no surprise to those who know me!) I loved all of her books, which as far as I am aware are now out of print. However they will always have pride of place on my bookshelf back home <3



I was probably 18 or 19 before I moved on to adult books, A good teenage book was so much easier to find and I could relate to the topics such as first love and it's problems, trouble with school, and relationships between daughter and parents a lot better back then then I could with marriage, and newly divorced singletons etc I still find myself longing for a good teen book every now and again.

I gave in to my craving quite recently and discovered the Noughts and Crosses series by Malorie Blackman, which I really could not put down.

However after a recommend in college I picked up A Piece of Cake by Cupcake Brown. It still remains my favourite adult book to this day. I just found it fascinating from cover to cover.



Life stories are not usually my thing, in fact this is the only one I have read. I find that I am easily disturbed by the subject matter of many of them so tend to stay away. It doesn't always make for easy reading, and I often found myself amazed that this book was all a true story. Despite all this the book is brilliant and so inspiring <3

If anyone has any recommendations for me that would be great,I am always looking for something new to read! What is your favourite book?

xxx

2 comments:

  1. I LOVE your collection. You are one of the only people I can relate to like this.
    Such great books. I remember you always telling me about A Piece Of Cake at college.

    Ooooh you have the Little Darlings book, I love Jacqueline Wilson. The Lottie Project was the first one I ever read and will always remain my fave.

    I like how you pile them all up, who needs a bookshelf when you can have your own little book corner :)

    Amazing amazing <3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yeah I've started buying them as she brings them out now since my mum got me Hetty Feather, I love hardbacks <3

    She has a new one out soon called the Whale Song or something, I read a bit about it and it sounds so good! Little darlings wasn't that good tbh not compared to some but was worth reading :)

    I love the Lottie project too! If you love that you must read Hetty Feather is is amazing! xxx

    ReplyDelete